Qualifications: U.S. Patent Attorney and Attorney at Law
PRACTICE AREAS AND INDUSTRIES SERVED
Aly Dossa’s practice focuses on intellectual property counseling, patent portfolio management, and domestic and foreign patent prosecution. He practices in the areas of intellectual property and litigation for software, hardware, and consumer device companies.
Startups and growing companies looking to effectively build their patent portfolios seek Mr. Dossa as their virtual in-house counsel because of his vast experience in technology and deep understanding of their particular issues. When advising clients on which patents to pursue and protect, he factors in the company objectives, strengths, weaknesses and potential infringement issues within the existing portfolio before advising on key areas to focus growth. With strong ties to both the venture community and emerging companies, Mr Dossa’s most rewarding career moments involve connecting innovative entrepreneurs with interested investors and helping their startups grow into established companies that revolutionize technologies and industries.
His experience spans a wide range of technologies, including web-based applications, graphical user interfaces, information security, financial management systems, file systems, operating systems, compilers, networking, consumer devices, storage systems, resource management, and distributed systems.
In the area of intellectual property counseling, Mr. Dossa has developed and implemented global intellectual property strategies; drafted and negotiated licenses; conducted intellectual property due diligence; advised clients on intellectual property issues related to SEC filings and appraisal of various intellectual property assets.
Mr. Dossa has also prepared, filed, and argued at oral hearings on numerous inter partes review petitions and has prepared non-infringement and invalidity opinions and ex parte reexamination requests. He has counseled clients on patent design-around strategies and the strength of patents in anticipation of litigation. Additionally, Mr. Dossa works with companies on developing trademark applications and registrations and implementing targeted global trademark enforcement strategies.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Open Houston, Board of Directors (2015-2016)
- Open Houston, President (2017)
- PTAB Bar Association
- Co-author of Chapter 13 – Intellectual Property Issues Raised By Email, Intellectual Property Law in Cyberspace, Second Edition (2011)
- “To Protect Your Source Code, Treat it Like Intellectual Property,” SD Times (2011)
- “Patent Enforcement at the International Trade Commission: Is it Worth it?” Renewable Energy World (2011)
- “Reading the Fine Print: How Do Government Funds Affect Intellectual Property?” Solar Industry (2010)
- “U.S. Patent Protection On The Fast Track,” North American Windpower (2010)
- “Intellectual Property Panel,” Panelist, C3: MedTech16 Conference, Houston, Texas (April 2016)
- “IP Strategies for Startups,” Presentation at 2016 Red Labs/ Owl Spark Accelerator at TMCx (June 2016)
- “IP Strategies for Startups,” Presentation at 2015 Red Labs/ Owl Spark Accelerator at TMCx (June 2015)
- “Effective Use of Pilot Programs,” 28th Annual Intellectual Property Law Course, Houston, Texas (March 2015)
- “IP Strategies for Startups,” Presentation at 2014 Ignition Workshop, Houston, Texas (November 2014)
- “IP Strategies for Startups,” Presentation at 2014 RED Labs at University of Houston (Summer 2014)
- “IP Strategies for Startups,” Presentation at 2013 Ignition Workshop, Houston, Texas (2013)
- “What Every Startup Needs to Know About Intellectual Property,” Co-Presenter, Balkan Venture Forum 2013, Sofia Bulgaria (2013)
- “IP Strategies for Startups,” 2012 Ignition Workshop, Houston, Texas (2012)
- “Transforming Science into Innovative Business,” Panelist, Balkan Venture Forum 2012, Belgrade, Serbia (2012)
- “From Lab to Commercialization: A Path for Cleantech Startups,” Panelist, SXSW Eco 2012, Austin, Texas (2012)
- “Intellectual Property Considerations for Businesses Using Social Media,” Houston, Texas (2012)
- “Intellectual Property Strategies for Startups,” National Business Incubator Association Conference, Houston, Texas (2012)
- “Dissecting a Government Grant,”242nd ACS National Meeting, Denver, Colorado (2011)
- “What the CAN-SPAM Act Now Covers,” Houston, Texas (2011)
- “I Agreed to What? Understanding Terms of Service/Use on the Web,” Houston, Texas (2011)
- “What Should I Do Now?: A Brief Introduction to Protecting Software IP,” Rice University Department of Computer Science, Houston, Texas (2009)
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center (2005)
- B.S., with distinction, Computer Science, Queen’s University, Canada (2001)
- B.S., first class honors, Engineering Chemistry, Queen’s University, Canada (2001)
- Focus Humanitarian Assistance USA, Director 2007-2009
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- “Texas Rising Star,” Texas Super Lawyers (2014-2015)