Qualifications: French & European Patent Attorney
PRACTICE AREAS AND INDUSTRIES SERVED
Christophe Besnard’s practice includes patent prosecution, patent litigation, EPO oppositions and IP due diligence in the fields of mechanical engineering, electronics and materials science. He counsels clients in many different industries, including the automotive, electronics and medical device industries.
Mr. Besnard has extensive experience in all aspects of French and European patent prosecution. He is also experienced in French patent litigation and opposition proceedings before the EPO. His litigation background is highly valuable for helping clients to obtain patents that will withstand the scrutiny of European Judges, or to work around competitors’ patents. His practice further includes preparation of freedom-to-operate and validity opinions, as well as IP due diligence investigations. As French patent attorney, he has frequent involvement with “saisie-contrefaçons”.
Being based in the Paris office, Mr. Besnard advises non-European clients in European proceedings. He also handles international patent portfolios for established French companies, while helping young innovative companies to define and implement IP strategies in concert with their objectives. Prior to joining Osha Liang, he worked for more than ten years at Cabinet Beau de Loménie, a leading IP law firm in France.
- LL.M., Intellectual Property Law and Management, CEIPI, University of Strasbourg, France (2014)
- Postgraduate Diploma: Patent Litigation in Europe, CEIPI, University of Strasbourg, France (2011)
- Postgraduate Diploma: Patents, Trademarks & Designs, CEIPI, University of Strasbourg, France (2002)
- Master’s degree in Engineering, University of Burgundy, France (2001)
- European Patent Attorney (2006)
- French Patent Attorney (2006)
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Salons professionnels aux États-Unis : le risque de T.R.O.“, co-author, Revue Francophone de la Propriété Intellectuelle, December 2016
- “Where to Challenge Patents? Post Grant Proceedings before the USPTO, EPO, SIPO and JPO”, Co-presenter, Practicing Law Institute (PLI), September 2015
- French (native)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- European Patent Institute (EPI)
- Institute of French IP Attorneys (CNCPI)
- Licensing Executive Society (LES), France