PRACTICE AREAS AND INDUSTRIES SERVED
Dana Gheorghe’s practice includes patent prosecution in the field of chemistry, materials science, electronics, oilfield technologies, semiconductors and pharmaceuticals.
Dr. Gheorghe has experience in the upstream oil and gas industry, including downhole tools technology with emphasis in a wide range of drill bits (such as PDC, TSP, carbonates and ultra-hard materials for HPHT), manufacturing processes and mechanical systems, as well as drilling fluids and fluid associated technologies. Notably, she also has experience in materials technology and polymer chemistry.
Prior to joining Osha Liang, Dr. Gheorghe worked for more than five years in the tobacco industry, where she gained industrial experience at both the pilot and commercial plant scale, with emphasis in research, development and production management. As the technical lead of the Production Department, her area of expertise covered product design and development of new and improved tobacco blends and cigarette brands, optimization of the consumption norms for raw materials, IP landscape and market assessment, quality control of specialty products (flavors, sauces and additives), raw materials and cigarettes. Further, Dr. Gheorghe was involved in research projects related to the tobacco industry such as the development of an amperometric method for the determination of catalase and oxidase in tobacco leaves and cigarettes.
Dr. Gheorghe earned her Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry at the University of Houston, where her graduate dissertation focused on the Solid State Chemistry of Mixed-Valent Gold Perovskites. Further, she has performed research in the areas of biomedical applications of nanotechnology (such as magnetic nanoparticles with dual response for the MRI detection of ovarian cancer and laser ablation), and structure-property relationships and reactivity of transition metal oxides. She also has extensive experience with solid state synthesis techniques, as well as with a number of analytical techniques, including microscopy (Transmission Electron Microscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy), spectroscopy, crystallography and voltammetry.
- Ph.D., Inorganic Chemisty, University of Houston (2008)
- M.S., Chemistry, University of Bucharest, Romania (1997)
- B.S., Chemistry, summa cum laude, University of Bucharest, Romania (1996)
- Eby Nell McElrath Postdoctoral Fellowship (2011)
- Texas Center for Superconductivity (TcSUH) travel award (2008)
- College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Houston and Office of Naval Research travel award (2007)
- Robert A. Welch Foundation Fellowship ( 2003, 2005-2007)
- Outstanding Student Fellowship, University of Bucharest (1991-1997)
- Gheorghe, D. E., Litvinchuk, A. P., Möller, A., “Crystal structure and Vibrational Properties of a Sodium Oxoferrate (II) Hydroxide, Na5[FeO3][OH]”, Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 2012, 638, 1.
- Gheorghe, D. E., Litvinchuk, A. P., Möller, A., “Electronic Excitations and Lattice Dynamics of Coordinatively ‘Unsaturated’ Complex Transition Metal Compounds”, Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 5822.
- Amuneke, N. E., Gheorghe, D. E., Lorenz, B., Möller, A., “Synthesis, Crystal Structure, and Physical Properties of BaAg2Cu[VO4]2: A New Member of the S=1/2 Triangular lattice”, Inorg. Chem. 2011, 50, 2207.
- Gheorghe, D. E., Cui, L., Karmonik, C., Brazdeikis, A., Penaloza, J. M., Joseph K. Young, J. K., Drezek, R. A., Bikram, M., “Gold-Silver Alloy Nanoshells: A New Candidate for Nanotherapeutics and Diagnostics”, Nanoscale Res. Lett. 2011, 6, 554.
- Bala, C., Radu, G. L., Gheorghe, D. E., Magearu, V., “Determination of cholesterol with a Nafion-Polypyrrole-modified biosensor”, J. Med. Biochem., 1997, 1, 1
- “Unraveling the Electronic Structure of Coordinative ‘Unsaturated’ Complex Transition Metal Compounds by Raman Spectroscopy”, Gheorghe, D. E.; Litvinchuk, A. P.; Möller, A., 241st ACS National Meeting, Anaheim, CA (2011).
- “Gold-silver Alloy Nanoshells: A New Candidate for Nanotherapeutics and Diagnostics”, Gheorghe, D. E.; Penaloza, J. M.; Karmonik, C.; Drezek, R. A.; Bikram, M., 239th ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, CA (2010).
- “Synthesis and Characterization of Gold Alloy Nanoshells on Gd-doped Iron Oxide Nanoparticles”, Gheorghe, D. E.; Mody, V. V.; Penaloza, J. M.; Karmonik, C.; Bikram, M., BMES Annual meeting, Pittsburgh, PA (2009).
- “Synthesis and Characterization of Gold Alloy Nanoshells on Gd-doped Iron Oxide Nanoparticles”, Gheorghe, D. E., Mody, V. V., Bikram, M., 26th conference of the Houston Society for Engineering in Medicine and Biology (HSEMB), Houston, TX (2009).
- “Synthesis, Structure and Properties of Organic-based Metal Halide Perovskites of Mixed-Valent Gold (I,III)”, Gheorghe, D. E., Tang, Z., Castro-Castro, L. M., Newton, A., Guloy, A. M., 235th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (2008).
- “Nonstoichiometry of Mixed-Valent Bromoaurate (I,III) Perovskites”, Gheorghe, D. E., Benson, R. E., Tang, Z., Litvinchuk, A., Lorenz, B., Guloy, A. M., Gordon Research Conference, Oxford, United Kingdom (2007).
- “Nonstoichiometry of Mixed-Valent Bromoaurate (I,III) Perovskites”, Gheorghe, D. E., Benson, R. E., Tang, Z., Litvinchuk, A., Lorenz, B., Guloy, A. M., North American Solid-State Chemistry Conference, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (2007).
- “Reinvestigation of a Mixed-Valent Bromoaurate (I,III) Perovskite”, Gheorghe, D. E.; Benson, R. E., Tang, Z., Guloy, A. M., 62nd ACS Southwest Regional Meeting, Houston, TX, (2006).
- English (proficient)
- Romanian (native)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Chemical Society
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Volunteer, HISD system (2008-2012)
- Volunteer, ACS–Greater Houston section (2007-2012)
- Women Chemists Committee (WCC), chair of the Houston section ( 2008-2011)
- Presenter, Expanding your horizons in science and mathematics (2007, 2009, 2010)