Qualifications: U.S. Patent Attorney and Attorney at Law
Location: Alexandria, VA (DC Metro Area)
Jeffery P. Langer uses strategic creation, management, and exploitation of IP assets to help clients achieve their business objectives. With over 12 years of IP legal experience, Dr. Langer relies on a wealth of innovative and practical approaches to solve client’s legal problems. As a former researcher and in-house counsel, he combines diverse technical knowledge with a strong skill set across multiple areas, including patent and design procurement, trade secret protection, portfolio management, licensing, due diligence, post grant challenges, and pre-litigation assessments. He has led projects in a variety of technology areas including semiconductors, consumer and industrial electronic systems, biomedical devices, and alternative energy systems. He is the cofounding partner of the Washington DC metro area office of Osha Liang, which is located minutes away from the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Led teams of IP professionals responsible for building and managing multimillion-dollar IP portfolios for clients in the consumer electronics and biomedical space in the Americas, Europe, and Asia
- Managed multiple concurrent contentious matters with simultaneous actions in Asia, Europe, and the Americas before the European Patent Office, the State Intellectual Property Office (PRC), and the United States Patent & Trademark Office for clients in the consumer electronics and semiconductor memory technology areas
- Lead IP due diligence attorney for multiple M&A acquisitions with valuations over $100 million dollars
- Lead attorney as outside and in-house counsel for transactional matters including multicounty freedom to operate assessments, cross-border IP licensing, export control issues, and IP asset purchases
- J.D., cum laude, Columbus School of Law, The Catholic University of America, Washington DC (2009)
- Ph.D., Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, New York (2005)
- M.S., Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, New York (2001)
- B.S., Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, New York (1999)
- B.A., Urban Studies, The College of Wooster, Ohio (1993)
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Author, “Ready for Your Next Trade Show? The TRO Trend Continues,” Law360, November 2016.
- Lecturer, Europe’s Unified Patent Court and Patents with Unitary Effect: Status, Perspectives and Impact of Brexit, Practicing Law Institute (PLI), September 2016.
- Panelist, Regulatory Pathways for Med Device and Pharmaceutical Compounds, C3: MedTech16 Conference, Houston, TX, April 2016.
- Co-Author, The Hottest Product At Your Next Trade Show — A TRO,” Law360, March 2016.
- Strategic Intellectual Property Management – Building IP Portfolios, Chapter in Handbook of Clinical Nanomedicine: Law, Business, Regulation, Safety and Risk, Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore (2016).
- Lecturer, International Post Grant Proceedings, Practicing Law Institute (PLI), September 2015.
- Panelist, Intellectual Property Due Diligence Essentials from the Buyer’s Perspective, 13th Annual International Conference on Current Medicine and Pharma, August 2015.
- Panelist, Food Design: Value and Protection of Food Design and Packaging, Milan, Italy, June 2015.
- PTAB Bar Association
- Licensing Executive Society International (Vice-Chair, Communication Committee)
- Rensselaer Alumni Network (Co-captain, Washington DC Metro area)
- Giles S. Rich Inn of Court
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- French (basic)
- Mandarin Chinese (proficient)