Qualifications: Japanese Patent Attorney
PRACTICE AREAS AND INDUSTRIES SERVED
Shinya Kimura’s practice includes patent prosecution and IP counseling in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical and chemical industries.
Dr. Kimura has experience in patent prosecution and IP counseling in the fields of pharmaceuticals, chemicals and biotechnology. He was previously a Japanese patent attorney at a law firm in Tokyo, where his practice included IP due diligence and patent infringement litigation in Japan.
Dr. Kimura received his doctoral degree from the Department of Biotechnology at the University of Tokyo, where his graduate dissertation focused on the potential role of endoplasmic reticulum (ER) in the production of recombinant proteins in filamentous fungi. He also studied Food Microbiology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Ph.D., Biotechnology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan (2010)
- M.S., Biotechnology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan (2007)
- B.S., Fermentation Science, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Tokyo, Japan (2001)
- Benrishi (Japanese Patent Attorney)
- Japanese Patent Office
- Kimura, S., Burton, CA., (2017) Pharmaceutical patent protection: the United States and Japan in comparative perspective. Pharm. Pat. Anal. 6(1), 35-42.
- Kimura, S., Maruyama, J., Kikuma, T., Arioka, M., & Kitamoto, K. (2011) Autophagy delivers misfolded secretory proteins accumulated in endoplasmic reticulum to vacuoles in the filamentous fungus Aspergillus oryzae. Biophys. Res. Commun., 406(3), 464-70.
- Kimura, S., Maruyama, J., Watanabe, T., Ito, Y., Arioka, M., & Kitamoto, K. (2010) In vivo imaging of endoplasmic reticulum and distribution of mutant a-amylase in Aspergillus oryzae. Fungal Genet. Biol. 47(12), 1044-54.
- Yoon, J., Kimura, S., Maruyama, J., & Kitamoto, K. (2009) Construction of quintuple protease gene disruptant for heterologous protein production in Aspergillus oryzae. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 82(4), 691-701.
- Kimura, S., Maruyama, J., Takeuchi, M., & Kitamoto, K. (2008) Monitoring global gene expression of proteases and improvement of human lysozyme production in the nptB gene disruptant of Aspergillus oryzae. Biotechnol. Biochem., 72(2), 499-505.
- “Intellectual Property” (as a guest speaker for the lecture “Entrepreneurship and Legal Practice”), Keio Business School, Tokyo, Japan (2014)
- “Intellectual Property” (as a guest speaker for the lecture “Entrepreneurship and Legal Practice”), Keio Business School, Tokyo, Japan (2013)