12th AIPPI Baltic Conference Event Summary
By: Jonathan Osha
The 12th AIPPI Baltic Conference was held in Jurmala, Latvia on April 11-13, 2017. The Conference was organized by the Latvian National Group of AIPPI, in cooperation with the Estonian and Lithuanian National Groups. Approximately 150 registrants attended to hear two days of informative presentations, as well as to enjoy the beautiful seaside city of Jurmala.
Topics discussed during the conference ranged from local and regional IP issues to pan-European and global concerns. Osha Liang managing partner, Jonathan Osha, moderated the session, “Patents in a Changing World,” which included the following:
- A discussion of the Unitary Patent by Dr. Francis Leyder of Belgium
- A glimpse into the future of litigation before the Unified Patent Court by Kevin Mooney of the U.K.,
- A review of Patent Revocation proceedings in Germany by Judge Andreas Paetzold of the Federal Patent Court of Germany
- A discussion of real-life experiences with litigation of SEPs in the EU by Dr. Clemens Heusch of Nokia Solutions and Networks, Germany
- An eye-opening discussion of issues with IP rights in creations by artificial intelligence by Vadim Perevalov of Russia.
Overall, the Baltic Conference was an excellent opportunity for both local and international practitioners to meet and discuss current topics of interest to IP practitioners.
Images from the Baltic Conference (courtesy of AIPPI):